Vigia Plaza

" Plaza de la Vigia " was the first point when designing the layout plan of the city.At that time it was known under this name, but for the clerk Ozeta Juan Uribe and that Saturday October 10, 1693, was just a little square called Plaza de Armas. 

Plaza-de-la-VigaVigia Plaza today

The Watcher has more titles than "Our First Plaza de Armas", because the prestige and recognition it enjoys the Matanzas not have gone with their centuries old. The Plaza is the first thing is obvious when you cross the bridge bound Calixto Garcia Middle Street, and to be assured, not detract from the rest of the buildings surrounding it, which is the most colorful building Historic City Centre. Center has the distinction of being one of the Seven Wonders Architectural Matanzas. 

Plaza-la-Viga-desde-el--puenteView of Vigia Plaza from the bridge today

The Vigia Plaza has been remodeled several times, but never has been abandoned, but on the contrary, urban life flourishes around each new structure.Currently, the site is occupied by Vigia Ediciones, by the Provincial Art Gallery "Pedro Esquerré" and other premises where services are offered shop, bar and cafe, set that offers cultural and peaceful environment that pursues both Matanzas. Park 

The first name of that park now known as "La Vigia" was "Park Plaza Colon. The plans for this were in the possession of Mr. Gumá and they showed that a park would be limited by the streets Magdalena Medio and Ayllón, that possess eight walls with the same number of bases in which would include statues, vases and two lions at the ends.In the two statues would be represented Isabel La Católica and Christopher Columbus. 

On July 25, 1872 was appointed a Commission of Adorno for the park, formed by local residents. That same year he was raised the "Parque de la Plaza de Colon. This would, some time later and for political reasons, the name of "Estrada Palma". To finally become, after the site is up, in the Park "La Vigia", where is located the monument to the Soldier Liberator, which is inscribed in bronze for the first time officially in Cuba the slogan " Patria o Muerte. "